Friday, May 8, 2009

Yes, I would like to escape from Granogue!

Here is Jason Fritzsche's report from Granogue. Enjoy!

This year it was clear why I was Escaping From Granogue. Never sure what the name of the race is supposed to mean, but I have a slightly better sense now. This one was a challenge of mind, rider, and equipment. Rain, rain, rain, and more rain turned the course into the one of the worst peanut butter mud-fests I had ever ridden in. I can take the mud and rain, but when you just simply can't move because of the growing glob of sticky mud around the essential moving parts of the bike, it's time to just call it. The actual decision was a culmination of many things. The mud grew so dense around the fork that it actually forced me over the bars on a descent. As a result of that, I tore a hole in the new kit, the chain was thrown off numerous times, and the rear brake lost all pressure and was leaking fluid. Lots of damage for only 3.5 miles of trail. The bike wash line was all too tempting when I spotted it on the climb in the open field. Done. Hats off to the riders who trudged through that mess for 3+ hours, wish I could say the same. This one is in the books as epic conditions, people will talk about Granogue 09 for years to come. As a bonus kick in the ass, I got the car stuck in some deep slop while trying to leave the parking area. Thanks to those who helped push me out. On a preparatory note, I read that spraying your bike with PAM will just wick away the mud. Is there any truth in this?

No comments:

Post a Comment