Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Fair Hill Race Reports

Below are race reports submitted by Dylan and Andrew Alesio from the Fair Hill race on Sunday July 12th.

Andrew:

4th out of 28th open elite racers.
At the start line I did not pick any special spot because it was on a long fire road to the single track, so I just sat in mid-pack and picked my way up to the front. As it went into the first section of single track, I was still about six racers back from the lead. I decided to try to capitalize on the next fire road where I pushed myself to the lead. Now it was time to do what I love to do, and that was to pick up the pace so that only the strong could hold on. With in minutes I made a small train of racers that consisted of me in the lead, Brandon Draugelis on my tail, then Christopher Beck and Dylan on the back of the train playing it cool. I felt great, riding super smooth and fast. At every turn, root, hill, dip, whatever it may have been, I try to ride it faster then anyone else. I sprinted out of every turn, and held the pace up so that no one could have slacked for a second. This pace was so intense I could barely reach for my hydro-pack hose let alone my water bottle. I held this pace up for about 22 miles, when suddenly, it was like a light switch from on to off and nothing in between. I run out of fuel. I knew that I packed a little light on the fuel and I really paid for it. As Brandon, Chris, and Dylan passed me I tried to keep up with them, but it was not going to happen. Now, the suffering began and all I had to do was finish the last four miles. Let me tell you that those last four miles were not as fun when I was going half the speed. I finished in 4th knowing what I need to work out as far as fuel requirements so that I could race better. It is a simple concept that the hotter the flame the more fuel it needs to burn.


Andrew:

3rd out of 28+ riders in the open elite.
The start line was packed with almost a 30 man field and I started off to the side in the grass rather that the gravel tracks. I found myself near the front and started to reserve power on the long flat gravel road. Dust filled the air as riders made there moves around me. I held my place just to see who was around. When the single track approached I turned the heat on and jumped into 3rd or so. Once things got going, Andrew took the lead and applied pressure. In order to keep up I had to constantly sprint out of the turns, attack every hill at max effort, and pull several G's in the turns. With in 20 minutes there were only four battling the front line with Andrew leading, follow by Brandon Draugelis, Christopher Beck, and me. Only the strong could keep up that day. It took me many twisty turns of refinement to be able to flow as good as Andrew through the turns and not lose any speed. It was so intense that with every reach for the camel back nozzle I would lose several feet and when it came time to drink from the bottle I lost even more. The train of four stayed tight to Andrew's wheel and were shocked at the pace he was pushing. I provoked the break up as I tried to pass Christopher Beck on the fire road as Andrew started to weaken. Christopher held me off and attacked on the upcoming hill pulling away with Brandon. As they pulled away I felt my tank drain and had to reduce pace for the final 4 miles. Andrew blew his fuel fuse and found a place in 4th. Christopher and Brandon had a close sprint finish and 2 minutes 51 seconds late I finished 3rd and just over a minute Andrew finished 4th.

No comments:

Post a Comment