Friday, June 5, 2009

More from Iron Hill

Here is Jason's report from Iron Hill. Enjoy!

Iron Hill is a pretty straight-forward place to ride, cruise down the hill, then grind your way back up. There are some punchy and technical sections to keep it interesting like the "bone shaker" and the "mega dip". Much to everyone's disappointment, the morning showers forced the closure of the mega dip, the trademark of Iron Hill. The course had pretty much lost its slickness by the time our 2pm start rolled around, but the ground was still a little spongy. Not really a problem, until you have to pound out all of the climbing on the back side. This proved to be more of an energy drain than most single-speeder's anticipated, and by the 4th lap I was gritting my way through it. My lackluster start had me pretty close to the back as the group entered the woods. Mostly because a few of us tried to flank and pass pretty close to the wooded edge, but somehow forgetting around the giant rock planted firmly in front of us. That small moment of hesitation was enough to let the lead group break off and begin their assault. I managed to catch back on to the mid-pack fodder and gain some positions. Overall, I was happy with my 11th place finish. I put in a strong ride, but wish I hadn't bobbled on the start.
-Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment